Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The decision to have LASIK

Many people ask why I decided to have LASIK surgery. The answer was pretty simple to me, I was tired of glasses and contact lenses. I have worn glasses since I was in the 4th grade, so we are talking 22 years of glasses/contact lenses. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE glasses as an accessory. However, my prescription was around a -6.00, meaning I'm blind without them. As for contact lenses, I love those as well. I never had any problems with my lenses over the 16+ years I wore them. So again you ask, if you never had problems wearing glasses or contact lenses then why have the surgery??
I think my serious interest came last year when I had my second child. Anyone who is nearsighted can relate to this......your child is crying in the middle of the night and you fumble on the night stand to find your glasses only to have them fall on the floor, well then you feel around on the floor until you finally find them. After this I started to wear the extended wear contact lenses, Air Optix Night and Day. These lenses were great! The FDA has approved these lenses for 30 days of continuous extended wear, so that's exactly what I did. I wore them for 30 days straight, maybe taking them out a few times here and there, but mostly wearing them for the full month. I did this for almost a year and had no problems, but the idea of LASIK and not having to wear corrective lenses was still in the back of my mind.
So fast forward to last month when I finally made the decision to have the LASIK. I placed the call to TLC for the initial consult. Dr. Stonecipher is one of the top LASIK surgeons in the country and I knew I would not let anyone else operate on my eyes but him.